A Cyclone warning is current for coastal and island communities from Cooktown to Yeppon and adjacent inland areas, and from Cape Melville to Cooktwown and adjacent inland areas east of Richmond.
Today 01.02.11, at 1:00 pm EST Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi was estimated to be 1120km east northeast of Cairns and 1110km east northeast of Townsville moving west at 34km per hour. The Cyclone is expected to continue intensifying as it moves west over the Coral Sea.
Damaging winds are also expected to develop about coastal and island communities between Cape Melville and Yeppoon Wednesday morning, extending to adjacent inland parts east of Richmond during Wednesday afternoon and evening.
Travels in these areas are strongly discouraged.
In light of the forecast weather conditions in the coming days:
- The Whitsundays Island’s resorts (Hamilton Island, Hayman Island, Daydream Island…) are being evacuated, cancelling or postponing bookings to a later date.
- Hamilton Island airport will be closing after its last flight departs on Tuesday 01 February.
- Cairns, Mackay and Townsville airports will be operating as normal on Tuesday 01 February.
- All Kuranda Scenic Railway services will be cancelled through to and including Friday 04 February.
- Ports from Cairns to Mackay will be closed from late Tuesday 01 February.
- Sailing companies will no longer operate.
We will keep you updated hour after hour about the evolution of the situation in Queensland.
For further information, consult the government website: www.bom.gov.au